Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Natalie's salsa

2 cans whole tomatoes (if using fresh, use romas)
1/2white onion
jalapenos (quantity depends on how spicy they are, when you smell them if they smell spicy, then they are med to hot if they don't, they taste like bell peppers, so add more)
cilantro if available, to taste
garlic salt
salt

I use my food processor to make salsa. I put jalapenos in first with a cup of the tomato juice from the canned tomatoes (I never add additional cans of tomato juice because I like my salsa chunky). I pulse/chop them several times, then I add the onion. I press the pulse/chop button several more times. I empty the chopped jalapeno and onions in a bowl. Then I place the whole tomatoes in the food processor and I only press pulse a few times just until they look a little more than diced. Add tomatoes to the onion and jalapenos and season with salt and garlic salt. If you are not using a food processor then dice the jalapenos finely, dice the onions and tomatoes.
I use the number 10 can of whole tomatoes that are sold at Costco or Sam's, they are $2 and I just freeze the remaining tomatoes for stew or taco soup or I make a dish that week that uses tomatoes.

No comments: